General Physics Video Lectures
Watch Wake Forest University Department of Physics professors present lectures on most concepts typically covered in a two semester general physics course.
For the development of these resources, the Physics Department gratefully acknowledges the support of the Wake Forest University Information Technology Group and the Information Systems Department, including their STARs program.
- Units of Measure – Jacque Fetrow
- Dimensional Analysis – Jacque Fetrow
- Significant Figures – Jacque Fetrow
- Rectangular and Polar Coordinates – Jacque Fetrow
- Examples of Conversion Between Rectangular and Polar Coordinates – Jacque Fetrow. (Requires Real Player)
- Scalars and Vectors – Jacque Fetrow
- Vector Properties and Vector Algebra – Jacque Fetrow
- Find vector magnitude and direction from components – Allen Brown
- Example problem: Adding two vectors using components — Rick Matthews
- Vector Components and Unit Vectors – Jacque Fetrow
- Products of Vectors – Keith Bonin
- One Dimensional Kinematics – Jed Macosko
- Two Dimensional Kinematics – Jed Macosko
- Constant acceleration equations — Rick Matthews
- Example problem: Ball fired in the air — Rick Matthews
- Projectile Motion
Forces and Newton’s Laws
- Newton’s Laws
- Lecture series by Dr. Rick Matthews
- Lecture series by Drs. Macosko and Guthold
- Friction – Natalie Holzwarth
- Free Body Diagrams
- Example problems using Newton’s Laws
Work and Conservation Laws
- Conservation of energy
- Conservation of Momentum
- Uniform Circular Motion
- Rotation about a fixed axis
- Torque – Jacque Fetrow
- Rolling Motion – Jacque Fetrow
- Angular Momentum – Jacque Fetrow
- Kepler’s Laws of Planetary Motion – Forrest Charnock (Requires Real Player)
- Newton’s Universal Law – Forrest Charnock (Requires Real Player)
- Gravitational Potential Energy – Forrest Charnock ((Requires Real Player)
Oscillatory Motion and Waves
- Simple Harmonic Motion
- Physics of Static Fluids – Natalie Holzwarth
- Fluids in Motion – Rick Matthews
- Dynamics of Fluids – Rick Matthews
- Temperature and the Ideal Gas Law – Jed Macosko (Requires Real Player)
- Heat and the First Law of Thermodynamics – Jed Macosko (Requires Real Player)
- The Second Law of Thermodynamics – Jed Macosko (Requires Real Player)
- Pressure and Kinetic Energy – Jed Macosko (Requires Real Player)
- Thermodynamics Examples – Jed Macosko (Requires Real Player)
- Thermodynamics – a brief overview – Part 1 – Rick Matthews
- Thermodynamics – a brief overview – Part 2 – Rick Matthews
- Electric Fields
- Electric Fields 2 . Electric field from multiple point charges. Rick Matthews.
- Electric Fields 3 . Electric field from continuous charge distributions. Rick Matthews.
- Millikan Oil Drop Experiment – Keith Bonin
- Gauss’s Law
- Lecture video:GaussLaw.mp4 . Matthews.
- Gauss’ Law: Exploiting Symmetry (Gausshelp.mp4). Matthews.
- Electric Potential
Currents, Resistance, DC circuits, RC circuits
- Magnetic force on current-carrying wires – Rick Matthews
- The Biot-Savart Law – Rick Matthews
- Ampere’s Law – Rick Matthews
- Faraday’s Law – Rick Matthews
- Self-Inductance and the RL Circuit – Kerr
- Lenses1.mp4. Convex lenses and image formation. Rick Matthews.
- Lenses2.mp4. More on convex lenses, real and virtual images, brief mention of how the eye focuses and how a camera focuses. Rick Matthews.
- Lenses3.mp4. Concave lenses and their images. Rick Matthews.
- More ray tracing lessons